Friday, May 18, 2007

mission completion!

When I was training for the half marathon, I tried to stay as close to the training schedule as possible. Throughout the week I wasn't a regimented with the short runs as I should have been. However, the long run was on each Saturday. It was then that the entire group that was training ran together. Eventually the long runs got to the point that we had to find some country roads because running long distances in town was quite cumbersome.

We trained in weather that was 10 degrees with driving winds while it was snowing or sleeting. (A few of us) trained in the pouring rain. We trained in the surprisingly hot Spring mornings. We trained in every kind of condition.

Rarely though, was the weather as bad as the hills on our running course. These roads were barely two lane with cow pastures all around. The course had long gradual hills that seemed to never end, it had short steep hills that seemed to go straight up, and there were the not-so-bad hills that were there just to add variation in the elevation.

There was one hill that I loved. It wasn't because it was the smallest hill, and even though it was, I didn't love it because it was the last hill. I loved the hill because one hot morning I was listening to Chris Tomlin in my iPod and just as I was cresting the hill. That point was as though I was not running to complete the course, but I was running to the entrance of heaven. The sun was fully atop the tree line, a gentle breeze blew, I was energized by my second - or third - wind, and Mr. Tomlin was singing praises to our Lord. It may sound cheesy, but each time I crested that hill I remembered that moment and was happy.

Well, the half marathon has come and gone. I ran well - even better than I expected. I have a wonderful sense of accomplishment. But I think that sense of accomplishment is tainted by the desire for the future accomplishment of being in the presence of Christ, joining the saints and angels sing praises, and being able to look back on my life with a humble pride.

I can look back and see how I managed to withstand the long gradual concerns that life offers.

I can look back and see how I managed those problems that seem to be impossible to overcome but in reality they're just short little hills that take a little more effort, but are easily defeated.

I can look back at my life and see the slight ups and down that just built character and simply kept the days interesting.

And I will look back on my life and see reality of that last hill. The hill that God gave me the strength to crest and see the finish. The hill that I never thought I would get to when I was starting the run, but always managed to defeat just before the end of the run.

I am musing because I just emailed the last project that completes my semester. I am drained. This last week was tough. But I managed it well. The end is here, now I can rest.

The best thing about 'completing a mission' is remembering the hills; and being assured that I would never have come close to the finish line without Christ seeing me through.

I am proud to say the mission that I accepted at the beginning of February has been completed. Spring semester is done. It is time to rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ehk hum (clearing throat) Jesus & Lindsay Aja got you through the run...isn't that what you meant to say?